News

Bridge works are still running on time

by
April 12, 2018

Map showing the closure of Warren St and the proposed detour

VICROADS says it knows the Echuca-Moama bridge project has caused disruptions, particularly to those living on Warren St.

Works are on track to have stage one of the $280 million project to be completed during the middle of next year.

Project delivery manager Jason Warren said works were progressing.

“We know the works and closure of Warren St have caused disruptions, and we’ve been taking active steps to minimise the impacts – particularly on residents in Warren St,’’ Mr Warren said.

Since the project started, the main feedback received has been related to increased traffic congestion on the signed detour route via Ogilvie Ave and High St

‘‘And concerns from residents in the Warren St area, who have experienced an increase in dust being generated by motorists who are using some of the nearby unsealed back roads to access Warren St,’’ another spokesperson from the road agency said. ‘‘We have recently made adjustments to the traffic signal light phasing along Ogilvie Ave and High St to improve traffic flow on the detour route. To assist in reducing the number of cars on local roads we have implemented several measures to discourage their use.

‘‘These include closing direct access from Homan St on the south side of Warren St and strategically installing water filled barriers to further discourage non-local motorists.

‘‘We have also deployed water carts to carry out more frequent watering of the unsealed roads to minimise the effects of dust. We are currently exploring options to use a non-toxic additive that provides a longer-term binding effect of the dust.’’

Warren Street will remain closed to through traffic until the completion of stage two.

That’s expected to be completed 18 months following the start of construction works.

‘‘Access will continue to be maintained for local residents, the local denture clinic, the Echuca cemetery and emergency services,’’ the spokesperson said.

Meanwhile, VicRoads said the initial design phase for stage three had been progressing steadily. VicRoads and Roads & Maritime NSW established a panel of experts to guide the process and expect to call tenders later this year.

‘‘Stage four design has commenced, with construction expected to begin next year,’’ the spokesperson said.

‘‘We recently visited more than 40 High St traders and the general sentiment around the project is very positive. They acknowledge that the Warren St closure is required, even if that means some changes to traffic movements in and around the port area.’’

By
More in Riverine Herald
Login Sign Up

Dummy text